NCAIANMHR PGY 06-10: Core Research Area C (Phase 2): Indian Detainee Adolescent Project
NIMH NCAIANMHR Center Grant
DATES OF FUNDING:
1991 - 1996
Spero M. Manson, Ph.D.
CENTER STAFF INVOLVED:
Christine W. Duclos, MPH; Jan Beals, Ph.D.; Spero Manson, Ph.D.; Doug Novins, M.D.
SPECIFIC AIMS/RESEARCH GOALS:
This study examined 4 research questions:
- To what extent do Northern Plains juveniles detained in a reservation-based detention facility suffer from psychiatric disorders and emotional problems?
- What is the extent of co-morbidity within this particular sample?
- What is the impact of selected risk factors on this psychiatric morbidity (demographics, social support, stressful life events, health perception, coping, competencies, ethnic identity, problem behaviors, and criminal activity)?
- What are the basic health service utilization patterns prior to incarceration for these adolescents?
Local lay interviewers administered an interview and self-report survey to 150 adolescents detained in one Northern Plains Indian juvenile detention facility. Court record data were also obtained (prior police contacts, prior court appearances, etc.).
150 male and female Indian adolescents consecutively admitted to the detention facility.
- Voices of Indian Teens Project (VOICES, NCAIANMHR).
- American Indian Vietnam Veteran's Project (AIVVP,NCAIANMHR).
- AIVVP-CIDI (NCAIANMHR).
- DISC = Version 2.0.
- Elliott, Delinquency Scale, National Youth Survey (UCB).
- Indian Detainee Adolescent Project (IDAP, NCAIANMHR).
Duclos, C.W, & Manson, S.M. (Eds.), Calling from the rim: Suicidal behavior among American Indian and Alaska Native adolescents, Monograph Series, American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, University Press of Colorado: Boulder, CO. 4.
Duclos, C. W., LeBeau, W., & Elias, G. (1994). American Indian jail suicides: Cause for continued suicide prevention research. Jail Suicide Update, 5, 4.
Duclos, C. W., Beals, J., Novins, D. K., Martin, C., Jewett, C. S., & Manson, S. M. (1998). Prevalence of common psychiatric disorders among American Indian adolescent detainees. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 37(8), 866-873.
Novins, D. K., Duclos, C.W., Martin, C., Jewett, C. S., & Manson, S. M. (1999). Utilization of alcohol, drug, and mental health services for American Indian adolescent detainees. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38(9), 1102-1108.