Dr. Haukoos is the Director of Research for the Department of Emergency Medicine at Denver Health Medical Center in Denver, Colorado, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine and the Department of Epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health.
He is a co-founder of the National Emergency Department HIV Testing Consortium and the principal investigator of a large controlled clinical trial, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to evaluate rapid HIV screening in the emergency department (ED). He is also recipient of an Independent Scientist Award from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to further study unique approaches to HIV prevention in the ED.
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Hospital Epidemiology - Emergency Department
- Health Services Research
- Applied Clinical Research
Current Research Projects:
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Colorado HIV and AIDS Prevention Grant Program: Targeted Opt-Out Rapid HIV Screening in Unscheduled Ambulatory Care(09-12, Principal Investigator).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Strategies to Identify Undiagnosed HIV Infection in the Emergency Department (08-13, Principal Investigator).
- University of California Riverside, BS, Biomedical Sciences, 1995
- University of California, Los Angeles, MD, 1998
- University of California Los Angeles, School of Public Health, MSc, Epidemiology, 2003