Megan A. Morris, PhD, MPH, CCC-SLP is the Director of Qualitative Research at ACCORDS. Dr. Morris directs the activities of the Qualitative Research Core and leads the planning, implementation, and evaluation of qualitative research studies. She collaborates with faculty, fellows and staff across a wide range of disciplines to integrate qualitative methodologies in their research study designs. She has published multiple peer-reviewed, original articles on topics including healthcare disparities, disabilities, patient-centered care interventions, qualitative and mixed-methods research designs, and shared decision making. In addition to being a researcher, she is a certified speech-language pathologist.
- Qualitative research methods
- Health and healthcare disparities experienced by disability populations
- Qualitative research methods
- Boston University, BS, Communication Disorders, 2003
- University of Washington, MS, Speech-Language Pathology, 2005
- University of Washington, MPH, Health Services Research, 2011
- University of Washington, PhD, Rehabilitation Sciences, 2011
- Starks H, Morris MA, Yorkston KM, Gray RF, Johnson KL. Being in- or out-of-sync: couples' adaptation to change in multiple sclerosis. Disabil Rehabil. 2010;32(3):196-206. doi: 10.3109/09638280903071826. PubMed PMID: 20001825.
- Burns M, Baylor C, Morris MA, McNalley T, Yorkston K. Training healthcare providers in patient-provider communication: What speech-language pathology and medical education can learn from one another. Aphasiology. 2012; 26(5).
- Morris MA, Dudgeon BJ, Yorkston K. A qualitative study of adult AAC users' experiences communicating with medical providers. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2013 Nov;8(6):472-81. doi: 10.3109/17483107.2012.746398. PubMed PMID: 23350909.
- Clayman ML, Morris MA. Patients in context: recognizing the companion as part of a patient-centered team. Patient Educ Couns. 2013 Apr;91(1):1-2. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2013.02.004. Review. PubMed PMID: 23465692.
- Balbale SN, Morris MA, LaVela SL. Using photovoice to explore patient perceptions of patient-centered care in the Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Patient. 2014;7(2):187-95. doi: 10.1007/s40271-014-0044-5. PubMed PMID: 24452963; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4419708.
- Morris MA, Yorkston K, Clayman ML. Improving communication in the primary care setting: perspectives of patients with speech disabilities. Patient. 2014;7(4):397-401. doi: 10.1007/s40271-014-0067-y. PubMed PMID: 24939644.
- Morris MA, Kho AN. Silence in the EHR: infrequent documentation of aphonia in the electronic health record. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Sep 23;14:425. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-14-425. PubMed PMID: 25248751; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4181429.
- Morris MA, Hasnain-Wynia R. A research agenda for documenting disability status within healthcare organizations to address disparities in care. J Healthc Qual. 2014 Mar-Apr;36(2):7-12; quiz 12-3. doi: 10.1111/jhq.12059. PubMed PMID: 24350672.
- Morris MA, Clayman ML, Peters KJ, Leppin AL, LeBlanc A. Patient-centered communication strategies for patients with aphasia: discrepancies between what patients want and what physicians do. Disabil Health J. 2015 Apr;8(2):208-15. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2014.09.007. PubMed PMID: 25458973.
- Finney Rutten LJ, Morris MA, Schrader LM, Manemann SM, Pathak J, Dimler R, Roger VL. Approaching patient engagement in research: what do patients with cardiovascular disease think? Patient Prefer Adherence. 2015 Jul 27;9:1061-4. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S84980. PubMed PMID: 26251578; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4524577.
- Ridgeway JL, LeBlanc A, Branda M, Harms RW, Morris MA, Nesbitt K, Gostout BS, Barkey LM, Sobolewski SM, Brodrick E, Inselman J, Baron A, Sivly A, Baker M, Finnie D, Chaudhry R, Famuyide AO. Implementation of a new prenatal care model to reduce office visits and increase connectivity and continuity of care: protocol for a mixed-methods study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Dec 2;15:323. doi: 10.1186/s12884-015-0762-2. PubMed PMID: 26631000; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4668747.
- Lagu T, Delk C, Morris MA. Epic Fail: Prenatal Care for Women with Mobility Impairment. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2015 Dec;24(12):963-5. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2015.5623. PubMed PMID: 26653867; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4683541.
- Morris MA, Meier SK, Griffin JM, Branda ME, Phelan SM. Prevalence and etiologies of adult communication disabilities in the United States: Results from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. Disabil Health J. 2016 Jan;9(1):140-4. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2015.07.004. PubMed PMID: 26303018.
- Morris MA, Schliep M, Liesinger J, Cameron KA. Collection of Patients' Disability Status by Healthcare Organizations: Patients' Perceptions and Attitudes. J Healthc Qual. 2016 May 13. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27183172.
- Maragh-Bass AC, Appelson JR, Changoor NR, Davis WA, Haider AH, Morris MA. Prioritizing qualitative research in surgery: A synthesis and analysis of publication trends. Surgery. 2016 Aug 4. pii: S0039-6060(16)30301-4. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2016.06.026. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27499145.
- Clayman ML, Gulbrandsen P, Morris MA. A patient in the clinic; a person in the world. Why shared decision making needs to center on the person rather than the medical encounter. Patient Educ Couns. 2016 Oct 21. pii: S0738-3991(16)30485-2. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2016.10.016. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27780646.