Skip to main content
Sign In

Graduate School at University of Colorado Denver

The Graduate School at UC Denver

Masters Student Services

Academic Resources

Students who wish to receive the master’s degree must first become candidates. After completing or registering for all program-required non-thesis coursework, students must file the Application for Graduation.

After all other requirements for the degree have been substantially completed and after advancement to candidacy, all candidates for master’s degree are required to take a final comprehensive examination or thesis defense.

Students cannot take the exam before the application and request to schedule exam are submitted and approved by the Graduate School. Instructions and deadlines for completion of the forms are provided in the links below.​

***All forms are fillable Adobe PDF forms.  You will need to have the most recent version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro installed on your computer.  If you are using any internet browser beside Internet Explorer, you will need to right click on the link to the form and choose “Save as” to open the form.  Once you have saved the form you will be able to open it.  If you are using Internet Explorer, click on the link and the form will automatically open.***
Form Description
Instructions Review the instructions sheet first for steps you need to take the semester you are planning to graduate.  
CU-Anschutz Deadlines  CU-Anschutz Students Only- You must follow this deadlines calendar.  Failure to do so will result in you graduation being postponed.  

CU-Denver Deadlines CU-Denver Students Only: You must follow this deadlines calendar.  Failure to do so will result in you graduation being postponed.  ​
Application for Graduation
All student must complete this application at the beginning of the semester you are planning to graduate.  The deadline established for this application by the Registrar’s Office is usually the same as the add/drop registration period for each semester.
Application for Admission to Candidacy ​ Completing the required courses for a program does not automatically admit a student to candidacy for the degree. The student will need to complete the Application for Admission to Candidacy form by the stated deadline.
Request to Schedule Exam
This form informs the Graduate School of your exam.  It must be submitted to the Graduate School office at least two weeks prior to the examination (late submission will result in having to reschedule the exam).
Style & Policy Manual for Thesis/Dissertations

Thesis Students Only: The manual provides guidelines, specifications, and information students must follow when formatting their thesis. For reference, it also includes sample pages of each section of a thesis

CU-Anschutz-Mandatory Thesis Precheck
CU-Anschutz Thesis Students Only: All thesis students must complete a mandatory thesis pre-check that should be scheduled prior to the defense. At least two weeks prior to the defense date, please call 303-724-2911 to schedule the pre-check.
​CU-Denver-Thesis Format Review  ​CU-Denver Thesis Students  Only: An unbound, hard copy of the thesis must be submitted to the Graduate School (Location: 1380 Lawrence Street, suite 1251; Phone: 303-315-2183) by the date listed on the deadline calendar for the initial format review. Electronic copies are NOT accepted for format review.
Statement of Approval of the Thesis  Thesis Students Only: This form must be submitted to the Graduate School prior to the electronic submission of the student’s thesis. Original signatures are required. 
Request for Transfer of Credit ​​

This form is used to transfer in graduate-level credit earned at another accredited institution either in the United States or abroad, or credits earned as a non-degree student within the University of Colorado system. Graduate courses taken while the student was enrolled in a graduate program anywhere in the University of Colorado system are considered resident, not transfer, and therefore fall outside the limits on transfer credits.

**Previous Non-degree Students

If you took courses at the University of Colorado as a non-degree student and prior to your matriculation into the Graduate School, they must be transferred into your graduate program curriculum to be used to fulfill degree requirements. If you have not already transferred these courses, you will need this form. This is also the form to use to transfer in coursework taken outside the CU system

University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.