Computational Fluid Mechanics
Primary research in computational fluid dynamics is a branch known as computational two-phase flow. Faculty are involved in developing and using numerical methods directed toward the simulation of flows during which phase change causes mass to be transferred across moving distorting phase interfaces.
Recently, faculty have also become interested in interface tracking including the effects of electrohydrodynamics.
Current projects in computational fluid mechanics are:
- Simulation of deformable droplet migration due to electrocapillary forces.
- Electrohydrodynamic improvement of boiling heat transfer
Samuel Welch, PhD
Associate Professor, Department Chair
Web site: http://carbon.ucdenver.edu/~swelch
- Computational fluid mechanics
- Fluid mechanics
- Heat transfer
- Two-phase flow
- Welch, S. W. J., and Biswas, G.,“ Direct Simulation of Film Boiling Including Electrohydrodynamic Forces, Physics of Fluids,Vol. 19, No. 1, 012106
- Welch, S. W. J., Hong, M., Trapp, J.A., and Choi, M.,“ A Parameter-Free Second Order Numerical Scheme for Constrained Multibody Dynamical Systems”, AIAA Journal of Guidance,Control, and Dynamics,Vol. 30, No. 5, pp.1494-1503
- G. Tomar, D. Gerlach, G. Biswas, N. Alleborn, A. Sharma, F. Durst, S. W. J. Welch, A. Delgado, “ Two-phase Electrohydrodynamic Simulations Using a Volume of Fluid Approach”, Journal of Computational Physics , Vol. 227, pp. 1267-1285
- Hong, M., Welch, S.W.J., Jung S. , Choi, M., “Enhanced Second-order Implicit Constraint Enforcement for Dynamic Simulations.” KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, Korea, KSI TIIS, pp. 51-62
- Tomar, G., Biswas, G., Sharma, A., Welch, S.W.J., “ Multi-mode analysis of bubble growth in saturated film boiling”. Physics of Fluids, Vol. 20, No. 9, 092101
- Tomar, G., Biswas, G., Sharma, A., Welch, S.W.J., “ Influence of Electric Field on saturated film boiling”. Physics of Fluids, Vol. 21, No. 9, 032107
- MECH 5161 - Compressible Flow
- MECH 5248 – Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics
For complete, up-to-date course descriptions, visit the CU Denver academic catalog and search for the course numbers listed above.