Created in the early 1900s, Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is a society for students, faculty and community members who have achieved and continue to maintain high standards of academic excellence, and are interested in the social issues of the world.
Currently the University of Colorado Denver AKD chapter is not active.
Departmental Honors in Sociology
Focusing on a project or thesis, honor students search for answers on a topic of their own choosing. This is a great way to discover a focus that you can take with you when you graduate, granting you with a portfolio and history of distilled research that's your own.
The Department of Sociology offers honors status in:
- cum laude (3.2 GPA)
- magna cum laude (3.5 GPA)
- summa cum laude (3.5 GPA)
The requirements for the three honors categories vary slightly among the three categories. There are three steps in planning and establishing your status as an honor student:
- Establish that your GPA fulfills the honors category that you seek.
- Determine what additional classes to take for your honors status.
- Write a plan of action with the help of an advisor. All honor students explore an independent study/research, or independent study/research and a thesis project.
Consult the checklists below to get started right now on becoming an honors student.
If you wish to graduate with departmental honors (cum laude) in sociology you must fulfill the following requirements (in addition to completing all of the requirements for the sociology major):
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better while enrolled at University of Colorado Denver
- Have a GPA of 3.2 or better for all coursework done in sociology while enrolled at UCD.
- Complete at least six hours of SOC 4840, Independent Study, spread over at least two semesters. This independent study will serve as the basis for the research project.
- Complete an independent research project under the supervision of a University of Colorado at Denver Sociology faculty member.
Magna Cum Laude or Summar Cum Lauda
For high departmental honors (magna cum laude or summa cum laude) students must meet the following requirements (in addition to completing all of the requirements for the Sociology Major):
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better while enrolled at University of Colorado Denver.
- Have GPA of 3.5 or better for all course work in Sociology while enrolled at University of Colorado Denver.
- Complete six hours of SOC 4840, Independent Study, and spread over at least two semesters. This independent research will serve as the basis for the research project.
- Prepare an honors thesis based on an independent research project directed by a Sociology faculty member and present the thesis to a departmental colloquium at least six weeks before the end of the semester in which you intend to graduate.
The level of honors (magna or summa) conferred by the department will be determined by the honors committee's evaluation of the your thesis and your GPA. For more information, please talk to your faculty advisor.