You can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology on campus or entirely online. In addition to core undergraduate requirements, you'll need to complete 34 credit hours in sociology, 19 hours of required courses and 15-37 hours of electives. Click here for Major requirements.
- SOCY 1001, Introduction to Sociology (three credit hours)
- SOCY 3001, Urban Sociology (three credit hours)
- SOCY 3111, Introduction to Research Methods (three credit hours)*
- SOCY 3121, Introduction to Statistics (four credit hours)*
- SOCY 3150 (Previously 4150), History of Sociological Theory (three credit hours)*
- SOCY 3160 (Previously 4160), Contemporary Sociological Theory (three credit hours)*
*Must be taken from the UC Denver Downtown Campus faculty.
In addition to the required courses, you will choose 15-29 elective course credit hours from the Sociology Department. You must complete all electives with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. At least 16 of the 34 total semester hours (but not over 56) required for the major must be at the 3000 or 4000 level.
Can I take General Education Requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and have them apply to my Sociology Core requirements?
Yes, but you must total 120 credit hours. All credit hours taken through the Sociology Department cannot be added more than once to your total 120 tally of credits. The good news is, you free up your elective credits for a minor.
When should I contact an advisor about choosing courses in the Sociology Department?
All new and returning students should contact one of the sociology advisors during the first semester they enroll at UC Denver. Whenever you may need advising feel free to call or send an e-mail to the undergraduate advisor. The advisor is here to help make your undergraduate experience as easy and pleasant as possible. Please use the link below to find contact information.