The Joseph F. Froechtenigt Memorial Scholarship Fund has been established to offer a university education to serious students who might otherwise not have the monetary resources necessary to allow them to devote themselves to learning. More specifically, the purpose of this fund is to provide scholarship support to individuals who have an interest in the sciences, particularly physics.
Scholarship assistance shall be used for resident tuition and textbooks to selected undergraduate students, although the funds available will probably not cover all such expenses. For Fall 2016 the stipend is estimated to be about $2,000. Eligible students must be matriculated in the UC Denver College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and majoring in the sciences, with strong preference given to Physics majors.
The scholarship fund has been established with funds from the family, friends and colleagues of Dr. Joseph F. Froechtenigt.
Who was Joseph Froechtenight
Joseph F. Froechtenigt passed away Aug. 11, 2000. He was a dedicated teacher across a range of undergraduate physics courses at UC Denver up through the Spring 2000 semester. Joe also taught Physics and Astronomy with distinction at Metropolitan State College and Arapahoe Community College. He was respected by his students and professional peers and was known for his ready sense of humor, easygoing manner and personal decency. Prior to these academic appointments Joe had a long and distinguished career working as a researcher and project manager in industry and government laboratories, including Denver-area Martin Marietta and the Solar Energy Research Institute in Golden. Joe earned BS, MS and PhD degrees while working and raising a sizeable family, at all times giving freely of himself to others. In that spirit the purpose of this fund is to recognize those individuals with an interest in science and who, like Joe, face life challenges, and through scholarship awards to carry on the spirit of excellence in science and the art of giving that characterized Joe's life.
- Student must be matriculated in the UC Denver College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and majoring in the sciences, with strong preference given to physics majors.
- Scholarships are open to all undergraduate students regardless of gender, race or creed.
- Applicants need not demonstrate financial need.
- Applicants must qualify for Colorado in-state tuition.
- Applicants must be enrolled for six or more credit hours per semester.
- Applicants must possess a minimum 3.2 overall grade point average and demonstrate an exuberant and inquisitive attitude toward learning. First term freshman applicants must have a grade point average that includes college courses.
How to Apply
The Fall 2016 Froechtenigt Scholarship application deadline is 5 p.m., Tuesday, March 31, 2016.
Required Submission Materials
- Completed application.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from academic/professional references. At least one of these letters must be from a professor.
- An official transcript from each higher education institution that you have attended.
- A personal letter of application stating professional goals and interests. The statement should include any additional information on educational honors, societies, and outside hobbies and interests, which would qualify the student for this scholarship.
- A brief résumé.
If you would like to receive more information about the scholarship, please send an e-mail to UCDPhysics@ucdenver.edu.