UCD Philosophy Department News
- Candice Shelby Published a book, Addiction: A Philosophical Perspective (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016). Candice has had two successful events at the Auraria Library (see here!) and Barnes and Noble (check out a video clip, here!), and she will have more lectures regarding her book throughout the year (more information coming soon). Congratulations, Candice!
- Brian Lisle Receives promotion to Senior Instructor! Congratulations, Brian!
- Chad Kautzer Receives tenure and is promoted to Associate Professor of Philosophy! Congratulations, Chad!
- Chad Kautzer Denver Book Launch for his book, Radical Philosophy (Paradigm/Routledge, 2015) 21 July 2015. Denver book launch event at Denver Art Society, 734 Santa
Fe, Denver CO. For the paperback release of Radical Philosophy: An Introduction
(Paradigm/Routledge, 2015). Invited commentators: Terese Howard, Organizer,
Denver Homeless Out Loud; David Long, Adjunct Philosophy Instructor, Metro
State University; and Maria Talero, Ph.D., Climate Courage Educator and
- Chad Kautzer gets recognized for his work curating the Redline exhibit, Not Exactly – Between Home and Where I Find Myself. "The exhibit brought together twenty-four artists to highlight how the lack of shelter and social recognition can contribute to homelessness, including the renowned artist, Inocente, the subject of the 2013 Oscar award-winning short documentary on homelessness." -"Alums are Helping Shape Denver's Art World at Redline" (CLAS Pinnacle, October 2013).
- Chad Kautzer and David Hildebrand devote their time this semester to teaching one section each of an eight-part certificate program. The certificate program, run through CU Denver's Graduate School, is being referred to as the "Mini School of the Humanities." The program is free and open to the public, and students who attend at least six lessons will receive an academic Certificate in Humanities. Kautzer will teach a section labeled "Justice: The History and Future of a Dangerous Idea"; Hildebrand will teach "Objectivity and Neutrality in Contemporary Media." For more information, download the flyer: Mini-School_for_the_Humanities.pdf
- "Hildebrand gives multiple presentations in Scandinavia" (CU Newsroom, Jul. 2013).
- "Metcalf selected for institute and teaching in Italy this summer" (CLAS Pinnacle, May 2013).
- "Sarah Tyson: No easy choices in a philosopher’s work" (UCD Advocate, Feb. 2013).
- "Passion for knowledge triumphs over career-seeking," By Adam Blair, Philosophy Major and "inFocus" Editor for the UCD Advocate (UCD Advocate, Nov. 2012).
- Sarah Tyson (Ph.D. Vanderbilt University) joined the faculty as Assistant Professor in Fall 2012. Sarah works on Feminist Theory, Contemporary Continental Philosophy, and Social and Political Philosophy.
- "Metcalf named Co-Director of the Ancient Philosophy Society and led seminar in Italy" (CLAS Pinnacle, Sept. 2012).