A particular advantage of our program is the diverse array of opportunities for professional development that we offer students. Our graduates have valuable skills to offer future employers in the health care industry, in nonprofits, and in advocacy organizations, as reflected by our success in student placements. We also graduate students who are highly competitive in admissions to selective graduate programs.
Opportunities for Professional Development
The aim of our MA program in the Anthropology of Health and the Environment is to produce engaged and informed practitioner-scholars with a valuable anthropological toolkit. We provide students with training in both qualitative methods (ANTH 6063) and quantitative methods (ANTH 5053). In addition, we offer MA students the following opportunities for career development:
- Research opportunities in the local health care organizations, nonprofits and advocacy groups with which faculty have contacts. We provide all entering students with a full database of the local agencies and nonprofits with which we have connections.
- A professional development speaker series in which speakers discuss career opportunities in their organizations. The speaker series rotates annually among the subfields.
- Opportunities to present individually or on faculty-organized panels at professional conferences such as the Society for Applied Anthropology and the American Anthropological Association. In 2012, over 20 students presented their work at the applied meetings in Denver.
- Opportunities on faculty’s research and creative projects as paid Research Assistants.
We also can help students design an individually-tailored internship and course of guided readings that gives students specific skills and knowledge in their chosen field.
In the past five years, our graduates have taken positions in the following organizations:
- Denver Health
- Colorado Department of Health and the Environment (CDPHE)
- CDPHE’s Refugee Clinic
- Catholic Charities
- Water for People
- Colorado WIN Partners
- Open Aid Alliance, Missoula, MT
- Colorado School of Public Health, Department of Community and Behavioral Health
- UC Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Pediatrics
- UC Denver’s Health and Behavioral Sciences’ Research Evaluation Group
Student Placements-Graduate Programs
In the past five years, our graduates have been accepted at the following graduate programs:
- UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco (PhD in Medical Anthropology)
- London School of Economics (MSc in Biomedicine, Bioscience and Society)
- Brown University (MD)
- Cornell University (Phd in Nutrition)
- Harvard University (PhD in Public Health)
- Tulane University (PhD in Public Health)
- University of Arizona (PhD in Anthropology)
- University of Texas at Austin (PhD in Anthropology)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (PhD in Anthropology)
- University of Colorado Boulder (PhD in Geography)
- Colorado School of Public Health (MPH certificate program in Global Health)
- UCD Health and Behavioral Sciences (PhD)
- Oregon State University (PhD in Anthropology)
- University of Kentucky (PhD in Anthropology)
- University of New Mexico (JD)