Language and Culture Photo Contest
The Department of Modern Languages invites students currently enrolled in a Modern Languages course to submit a picture that captures a culture and/or your experience learning a language.
Pictures may be submitted to the following two categories:
Portraits & Landscapes:
- Pictures in this category include people, animals, architecture, or natural beauty that in some fashion conveys a language other than English.
- Culture may be defined by everything from religion, cuisine, social habits, music, and arts. It can be anything from your interaction with the host culture while studying abroad, to your impressions from attending a cultural event here in the US.
- ** Note, for all pictures, you must provide a title and a written description explaining how this moment represents your experience learning a language and/or experiencing a culture.
Selection criteria include:
- Technical merit (clarity, focus, lighting, etc.).
- Originality counts! We encourage photographs that capture locally characteristic phenomena, scenes, and people without falling back on the picture postcard monuments that we all know only too well
- One submission per category per student.
- Brief written description (140 characters max).
- Entries must be attached as a .jpg or .tiff file to the email.
- The photo must be your own intellectual property. No submitting photos taken by someone else or whose copyright you no longer own.
- All photos must be submitted by Friday, November 4th at 11:59 pm in order to be considered for the contest.
- By submitting your photos, you are giving the Department of Modern Languages permission to display them. The name of the student, the photo title, and the location of the photo will be displayed with every photo.
There will be first and second place winners for each of the 2 categories. The first place winner in each category will receive a $75 gift card, then the 2nd place winner in each category will receive a $50 gift card.Contest Flyer