National History Day in Colorado depends on volunteers from our communities to serve as judges. Would you like to volunteer?
How judging works?
Judges are trained on how to judge and given
- Judges do NOT need to be historians or be
experts in the field.
- Judges work in teams of three with at least one veteran
- Judges interview students and talk with them
about their research.
- Judges evaluate students’ projects using a
rubric, and rank the projects.
- All projects are evaluated—and all students
interviewed—in the first rounds when finalists are determined. Finalists are evaluated in the final rounds
when winners are determined.
How can I prepare to judge?
Attend a judge training in the spring on the Auraria Campus. Details TBD.
How long is the event?
7:30-1:00 for preliminary round judges.
- 7:30-4:00 for those who want to judge preliminary
& final rounds.
- Noon-4:00 for those who want to judge final
- The Awards Ceremony is held at 5:00 pm, and
judges are encouraged to attend.
Click on the hyperlinks for more information on the Judging Criteria, Judging Forms and Instructions and Judge Training