Nomination for Special Awards
Students may self-nominate their entries for the 2014 contest as part of their registration process. Please note: Some special awards may require addition information. Check back for special award details.
Note: For entries in the Documentary category only, if you wish to be considered for a special award, we ask that you submit a copy of your documentary(DVD or a link to an online host site like YouTube), process paper, and annotated bibliography ahead of time so the special awards judges can review it before the contest. Please send all materials to the state History Day office by Monday, April 14th.
National History Day in Colorado is proud to partner with the following individuals and organizations to offer the following special awards for 2014:
- Best Group Project on Colorado History (Sponsored by Governor John Hickenlooper's office): Prizes will be awarded to the best GROUP (junior or senior) project on a COLORADO HISTORY topic.
Best Entry on Colorado History (Sponsored by History Colorado): Prizes will be awarded to the best junior and the best senior INDIVIDUAL projects on a COLORADO HISTORY topic.
Best Project on Hispanic History (Sponsored by Lieutenant Governor Joe Garcia): Prize will be awarded to the best project related HISPANIC history.
Colorado Experience Best in Show Documentary (Sponsored by Rocky Mountain PBS-Colorado Experience): Prize will be awarded to the best COLORADO themed documentary.
Charles Redd Award (Sponsored by Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, Brigham Young University): Prizes will be awarded to the best junior and senior entries on WESTERN HISTORY topics.
Best Use of Geography (Sponsored by the Colorado Geographic Alliance):
Prizes will be awarded to a middle and high school project for the best examination of the role of geography in History Day presentations. Participants must submit a one-page, double-spaced essay that includes a brief statement of the topic, a discussion of role of geography as it applies to your topic and a statement about why you think geography is important in general. The single page should contain the name(s) of the student(s) completing the project, the category of competition, and the division. Statements from the process paper may be used in the geography essay. This essay will only be used by judges selected by the Colorado Geography Alliance in their assessment of the projects for the special award. The essay must be submitted to the Colorado Geographic Alliance by email (firstname.lastname@example.org
) no later than TBD.
Best Use of Library of Congress Materials (Sponsored by Teaching with Primary Sources Colorado):
Prizes will be awarded for the best project utilizing SOURCES FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS (www.loc.gov
) in their project.
- Best Use of Primary Sources in a Paper (Sponsored by the Department of History, University of Colorado Denver): Prizes will be awarded to the best use of primary sources in a middle school and a high school PAPER.
- Most Creative Exhibit (Sponsored by the Optimist Club of South Monaco): Prizes will be awarded to the most creative junior and senior EXHIBIT.
- Molly Brown Activism Award (Sponsored by the Molly Brown House Museum)
A prize will be awarded for an outstanding project in key ares of activism covered in the life of Molly Brown, including suffrage, juvenile justice, and education.
- Best Project related to Rescue and Resistance during the Holocaust (Sponsored by the Mizel Museum): Prize will be awarded to the best project.