All audition-based guitar applicants must prepare a video audition for pre-screening. If the performance passes pre-screening, Sean McGowan will notify you to schedule an audition.
All guitar videos must include the following:
1. Guitar Audition Guidelines:
Perform two musical selections based on the following examples:
- A single melodic line guitar solo based on a transcription of a jazz - fusion - pop or classical piece.
- A solo classical piece including any repertoire from Bach, Sor, Carcassi, Brouwer or any other comparable selection.
- A fingerstyle piece using alternate tuning or standard tuning like Michael Hedges or Leo Kottke compositions.
Demonstrate the following chord types in root-6 and root-5 positions: Maj7, 7, min7, min7(b5) and dim7, min6, 13, 9 and min9
Scales and Arpeggios – perform the following:
- Two octave major scales in three different positions – pick any key
- Seven Greek modes (one position per mode) – pick any key
- Two octave, seventh chord arpeggios including: Major seventh, seventh, minor seventh, minor seventh flat five, and diminished seventh – pick any root note
2. Bass Audition Guidelines:
- Repertoire – perform two pieces of varying styles. It would be great if one of the styles was jazz based; classical, funk, R&B, and rock are fine.
- Styles demonstration – perform a 30-second style demonstration choosing from two of the following: jazz walking bass, funk, tapping, R&B, or rock.
- Scales and Arpeggios – perform the following:
- One octave arpeggios scales of the following - Maj7, dominant 7, minor 7, minor 7 b5, and fully diminished seventh.
- Perform all seven Greek modes - one octave - any key.
3. Submit your audition video:
- All selections must be verbally labeled. Please announce the title of pieces, the name of each scale, mode, chord, and arpeggio.
- If is the video uploaded to a server or YouTube, Email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail your audition DVD to:
Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Department
ATTN: Sean McGowan
College of Arts & Media
University of Colorado Denver
Campus Box 162
P.O Box 173364
Denver, CO 80217-3364
- Please include your email and phone number on discs and all electronic communications
- Complete the Audition Application
- Audition vides must be received not later than March 30, 2012, 5:00pm MDT
4. Non-Audition Application Form
Students who choose to pursue the Music Business or Recording Arts Emphasis on the Non-Audition Track must complete the Non-Audition Application Form in lieu of an entrance audition. This document is available at in the Arts Building, Suite 288, or at:
The MEIS Department no longer accepts General Musicianship minors.
Please contact the Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Office at MEIS.Dept@ucdenver.edu or call (303) 556-3480 with any questions.