While audition particulars may vary by instrument and instructor, most auditions consist of the following:
1. Prepare two musical selections:
- One technical
- One lyrical
2. Students will be evaluated on at least the following areas:
- Sight Reading
- Scales and Arpeggios (major and minor scales and arpeggios)
- Tone Quality
- Rhythmic Conception
3. Students may consider demonstrating their improvisation skills.
4. Schedule your audition.
- Contact the MEIS Office at MEIS.Dept@ucdenver.edu or call (303) 556-3480.
- Students applying for Fall 2012 admission must audition by April 13, 2012.
- While students are encouraged to perform "live" auditions, this is not always possible for out-of state-students. Out-of-state students who cannot attend a live audition may submit a recorded audition. Recorded auditions must contain the type of repertoire listed above and be five to ten minutes in length. Recordings will not be returned. Please contact the MEIS Department for more information.
The MEIS Department no longer accepts General Musicianship minors.
Please contact the Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Office at (303) 556-3480 with any questions.
Wind and Brass Audition Information (PDF)