ESL Academy: Frequently Asked Questions
Following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the ESL Academy at the University of Colorado Denver. Much of the information is available elsewhere on this Web site, but we have compiled the information here in order to address some specific questions you might have in one centralized location.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303.315.2383 if you have additional questions.
What is this new ESL Academy?
The ESL Academy is an intensive English language program designed to prepare international students to study at American universities. The Academy offers high-quality, year-round ESL instruction specifically designed for academic preparation. The curriculum will help students improve their language skills through a rigorous program of study, campus involvement, and cultural and educational activities.
The approach is rigorous. Full-time students are in classes 4-5 hours a day (20-25 hours per week) and are assigned several hours of homework each day. Five levels of instruction are offered: High Beginning, Low Intermediate, Intermediate, High Intermediate, and Advanced, with each level requiring an 8-week term to complete. Students in all levels are required to take required Core Courses. Core Courses include Listening/Speaking, Reading/Writing, and Grammar.
What makes the University of Colorado Denver’s ESL Academy different from other ESL programs?
The University of Colorado Denver’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Academy offers you a rich diversity of academic, social, and cultural opportunities that are further enhanced by its location in the city of Denver – a unique, scenic, and desirable urban location that is also just minutes from the majestic Rocky Mountains.
Our program offers the following distinctives and advantages when compared against other programs:
- The curriculum is designed especially for university-bound students. In addition to mastering academic English, students will learn how to succeed academically at the University of Colorado Denver.
- Students in the ESL Academy will be considered University of Colorado Denver students. They will be on the university campus from day one of our program and will be eligible to live in university housing, though there will be limited available for students who join our program mid-term.
- Students will have access to all of the activities and resources that the university has to offer, not to mention the spectacular outdoors and urban life that Denver and Colorado have to offer.
- Students may be allowed to take one or two regular academic courses that count towards fulfillment of CU Denver degree requirements once they achieve a measure of English proficiency.
- When a student completes the ESL Academy successfully, he/she will automatically fulfill the University of Colorado Denver’s English language proficiency requirement and will be eligible for full admission.
- Students will be issued a Form I-20 from the University of Colorado Denver for a seamless immigration experience and will not have to transfer their immigration status to begin their degree program upon complete of the ESL Academy.
- Students will benefit from a seamless transition to university degree programs after they successfully complete the ESL Academy, thus maximizing the prospects of their success.
Where is the ESL Academy located?
The ESL Academy is part of the University of Colorado Denver and is located adjacent to the University in newly renovated space right along 16th Street Mall in the heart of downtown Denver. Since you will spend over 20 hours per week in this space, it is designed not only to facilitate instruction, but also to be warm and inviting. It is intended to be your space – a home away from home that facilitates your connection with other students in the Academy, with the University of Colorado Denver, and with the city of Denver community.