Java Script Errors
What if I’m unable to use the discussion Board or Chat Room?
- You may experience an error within the discussion board or Collaboration section of Blackboard if you don't have the proper Java Script update downloaded on your computer. Below are some basic instructions on how to fix this error. All instructions below and additional information can be found at http://www.java.com/en/.
- Java for Windows - Internet Explorer - Recommended Version 6 Update 7 (file size: ~ 7.1 MB)Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 2003 Server
If you encounter an error in Blackboard, check the top of the browser for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: J2SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 7 from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.
Your download should start automatically in a few seconds. If not, click here to start the download.
Note: You might need to click the yellow warning bar at the top of the browser window to show the installation.
Are there instructions for downloading Java for Internet Explorer?
- Here are the three step instructions for dowloading Java for Internet Explorer...
- Click Install to start the installation process.
If you do not get the window asking you whether you want to install the software, please see the help page or the Manual Download page.
- The installation process starts. The installer presents an option to view the License Agreement. After reading the agreement, click the Accept button to accept its terms and to continue with the installation.
If you'd like to change the installation directory, or customize other features, select Show Advanced Options Panel.
If you selected the Advanced Options Panel, the installer displays a Custom Setup screen that allows you to choose program features to set up. We recommend that you keep the default settings, unless you are an advanced user who wants more precise control over the components that will be installed. After ensuring that the desired program features are selected, click the Next button to continue with the installation.
- Once the installation is successfully completed, you will see the Verify Installation page where you can verify your Java version installation.
NOTE: You may need to restart (close and re-open) your browser to enable the Java installation.
- System Requirements:
Intel and 100% compatible processors are supported. A Pentium 166MHz or faster processor with at least 64MB of physical RAM is recommended. You will also need a minimum of 98MB of free disk space.
- Windows 2000 (SP3+)
- Windows XP Home
- Windows XP Professional (SP1+)
- Windows Server 2003 Editions