Master of Public Administration Requirements
The Master of Public Administration distance program requires a minimum of 36 semester credit hours of graduate course work.
- All students complete six core (required) courses, five elective courses, and a capstone.
- All students complete either a client based capstone project (that allows you to apply the skills from the MPA program to a real life organization) or you may choose to complete a two-semester thesis option.
Core Required MPA Courses
You'll complete 6 (18 semester credit hours) of the following core MPA course requirements. All MPA core courses are available in both online and in-person formats.
- PUAD 5001 Introduction to Public Administration
- PUAD 5002 Organizational Management and Behavior
- PUAD 5003 Research and Analytic Methods
- PUAD 5004 Economics and Public Finance
- PUAD 5005 Policy Process and Democracy
- PUAD 5006 Ethics and Leadership
Students pursuing an entirely online degree in Public Administration, may complete the general MPA, as well as concentrations in:
- Nonprofit management
- Homeland defense
Students who can take elective courses on campus may additionally select concentrations in:
- Environmental policy
- Domestic violence
- Local government
- Emergency management
If you do not have work experience in the public or nonprofit sectors, you must complete a 3 credit internship (giving you 39 total credit hours).
Check out the list of available MPA courses for the semester.