By David Kelly l University Communications
AURORA, Colo. – Leading experts in a variety of public policy and medical fields will hold a symposium next month to discuss the societal and health implications of Colorado’s new marijuana laws.
The Colorado School of Public Health's Center for Public Health Practice will host the Marijuana and Public Health Symposium March 7, 2014 from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Mile High Station, 2027 W. Lower Colfax Ave., Denver.
The symposium will analyze the evidence-based public health and policy impacts of the recent marijuana laws.
The goal is to increase awareness of these issues for Colorado public health practitioners. State and local public health leaders along with the general public are invited to attend.
Speakers and topics include:
• Marijuana 101-- Amanda Reiman, PhD, MSW, California Drug Policy Alliance
• Marijuana and Cancer -- Daniel Bowels, MD, School of Medicine, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
• Marijuana and Heart and Lung Disease -- David Goff, MD, PhD, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
• Marijuana and Mental Health -- Paula Riggs, MD, Division of Substance Dependence, University of Colorado School of Medicine
• Marijuana and Drug Dependency -- Christian Thurstone, MD, Denver Health
• Marijuana, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding -- Laura Borgelt, PharmD, FCCP, BCPS, NCMP, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
• Marijuana and Traffic Safety -- Ashley Brooks-Russell, PhD, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
• Avoiding Unintentional Marijuana Exposure -- George Sam Wang, MD, FAAP, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, Children's Hospital Colorado
• Issues Around Marijuana and Public Health in the State of Washington -- Mary Segawa, MS, Washington State Liquor Control Board
• Marijuana Issues in Colorado -- Larry Wolk, MD, MSPH, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
• Marijuana Issues in Colorado: Local Public Heath -- Katie McGee, LCSW, CACIII, Boulder County Public Health