DENVER - Former CU Denver College of Arts & Media student Jeff Gipson helped team Disney score an Oscar for Frozen
, a 3D computer-animated, musical fantasy-comedy loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale, “The Snow Queen.”
Gipson studied at CU Denver's Digital Animation Center. The College of Arts & Media (CAM) offers an amazing, state-of-the-art digital media program
that gives students hands-on experience with the absolute latest in digital animation technology.
Bringing animation to life
CAM also invites industry leaders in the field of digital animation to conduct workshops with the students. These guest lectures are open and free to the public as part of CU Denver’s Digital Animation Industry Guest Lecture Series.
The next lecture is Friday, March 7 and will feature Jason Schleifer, head of Character Animation at DreamWorks, for two presentations that are free and open to the public in the Tivoli Theatres on the Auraria Campus:
11 a.m.- noon Schleifer will be speaking about DreamWorks and the newly released “Mr. Peabody & Sherman.”
1:30 - 4:30 p.m. Schleifer will discuss what it means to be a feature film animator and techniques used for character animation.
5 - 6 p.m. - Critiques of character animations from CU Denver students
More about Schleifer
Before joining DreamWorks, Schleifer worked at Alias Wavefront and at Weta Digital, where he worked on all three Lord of the Rings Films. Some of Jason’s other film credits include:
• 2014 Mr. Peabody & Sherman (head of character animation)
• 2010 Megamind (head of character animation)
• 2009 Monsters vs Aliens (character development)
• 2008 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (supervising animator)
• 2007 Shrek the Third (animator)
• 2006 Over the Hedge (animator)
• 2005 The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper (short) (animator)
• 2005 Madagascar (animator)
• 2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (animation lead: Weta Digital)
• 2002 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (senior animator: Weta Digital)
• 2001 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (creature technical director: Weta Digital)