It's a well-known fact that people read websites differently than printed material. People tend to be much less patient when searching for information on the web than when viewing brochures, magazines and other printed material.
Make your content more "web-friendly."
- Segment your text into short, easy-to-read paragraphs.
- Be brief and get to the point quickly.
- Use bulleted lists to highlight keywords and messages.
- Use sub-headings to organize your text.
- Hyperlink keywords and actionable text ("apply now," "view degree programs").
- Avoid "click here" or "more info" links whenever possible.
- Include Alternative Text (Alt Tags) for each image.
Web writing resources
Jakob Nielsen is an excellent reference for web writing. Here is one of his most popular studies on "How Users Read on the Web."