Bienvenidos a Latinx Student Services!
The mission of Latinx Student Services is to provide an inclusive environment to support the intersectional experiences, diverse cultures and educational goals of Latinx students a CU Denver.
We seek to accomplish this by:
- Advocating for the needs of Latinx students
- Supporting students to amplify their voice and enact agency
- Providing programs, events and workshops that raise the awareness about social justice issues that impact the diverse Latinx cultures, identities, and intersectional experiences.
- Supporting the leadership development of Latinx student organizations.
- Building community and a sense of belonging for all Latinx students, faculty, and staff.
In the Fall of 2017, our office made a name change from Latin@ Student Services to Latinx (pronounced “Latin-ex” or “La-teen-equis”) Student Services. This is an intentional shift, initiated by students, to move us towards greater inclusion. Latinx pushes beyond gender binaries and acknowledges the intersecting identities of our incredibly diverse community. Additionally, the “x” gives a nod to our indigenous ancestral roots. Latinx includes men, women, gender non-conforming, non-binary, trans, queer, agender and gender-fluid folks in our communities. It is not an exclusionary term; it opens the door for all the different ways folks would like to be identified. Ultimately, what we want you to know is that regardless of how you choose to identify yourself (Chicano, Chicana, Xicanx, Latina, Latino, Hispanic, Mexicano, Puertoriqueño, Colombiano, Afro-Latinx, etc.) you are welcome here and we hope you come see us soon. For more information about Latinx, check out this blog.
To receive monthly Latinx newsletters, please click here.
If you have any questions about our programs and services please contact Abenicio Rael at Abenicio.Rael@ucdenver.edu . You are always welcome to visit us in our office, Student Commons 2007 or give us a call 303-315-1878.