Module 4: Create Site
Create New Site (Section)
- Navigate to the site (or section) under which you would like to add the new site.
SharePoint will add the new site to the site/section you are in when you complete this task. Make sure you are in the appropriate site/section before you move to step 2.
- Click Site Actions, and then click New Site
The Create window opens.
- Click Public Web Site – without Approval for your site template
Public Web Site – without Approval is the standard template for web pages. Public Web Forms is used specifically to create a form.
Depending on your current site template in use, you may see other options here as well. Another template, Public Web Site – with Approval was recently removed from the options as it creates a number of maintenance issues and constraints for users.
- In the Title field, type a name for your new site.
The title is the site name that will display throughout the pages on your site, including in the navigation.
- In the URL name field, type a URL name for the site.
The URL name should be one word, and should not include spaces or special characters.
The URL name is the text that will appear for that page in the web address. You can make this the same as the site title, or rename it to something that is short and easy to reference.
- Click Create
SharePoint creates your new site, completing the tasks below (to name a few):
- Builds a default (home) page
- Builds navigation
- Sets up permissions
- Establishes a set of standard folders, including the following:
- Documents: storage for all documents you upload and publish to your site
- Images: storage for all images you upload and publish to your site
- Pages: storage for all pages in your site
- Workflow Tasks: not currently in use
The default page for your new site opens.
- Click the Publish tab, and then click Unpublish
SharePoint automatically creates and publishes the home page of your new site. Make sure to Unpublish your new site immediately after your create it, or you will have a blank home page viewable to the public.
- On your new site’s home page, in the Page tab, click Edit Properties
- Type the name of your page in the Name field
The information you type into the Name field is displayed in the URL for your page.
- Type the title of your page in the Title field
The information you type into the Title field is displayed as the title on your published page.
- Click Save
Your breadcrumbs will not be updated until you check in.
- In the Page tab, click Check In