The Shown Ribbon
The shown ribbon opens in the Browse tab, and initially looks like this:
- Site Actions – Provides additional functions that may not appear in the ribbon, many of which are administrative functions of SharePoint. The options you see under Site Actions are directly related to your permission level.
- Navigate Up – Provides a location view of the page you are on within the site files. You can click on this button at any time to see where you are in the site files, and easily move up levels in the site tree.
- Edit – Initiates Edit Mode.
- Browse tab – Pages open with the Browse tab selected. The Browse tab has no ribbon-based tools associated with it, and essentially collapses the ribbon.
- Page tab – Tools and commands related to page management
- Publish tab – Command to publish and/or unpublish a page
When you click on a tab other than Browse, the ribbon for that tab opens. Within each tab, ribbon commands and controls are organized into groups. Each group contains functions related to a specific task.
Here is the ribbon expanded for the Page tab.
There are several other contextual Menus, Tabs, and Groups that appear during your editing experience, specific to the tasks you are completing. Other tabs include, but are not limited to the following:
- Editing Tools tab
- Format Text tab
- Insert tab
- Picture Tools tab
- Tables tab
- Web Parts tab