KwizCom List Aggregator web parts are commonly used to publish information in SharePoint lists when the list and the published page used to view the list are in different sub-sites. There is a known issue with the link field of the KwizCom List Aggregator web part that prevents the content in the link field from being sorted alphabetically; users get an application error when they attempt to sort.
The link field accepts two pieces of information – an email address and/or a URL, and a short piece of text. As a result, the field is commonly used to display faculty and/or staff contact information. Because the known issue with the link field prevents the data from being sorted, users are unable to sort the names of faculty and/or staff alphabetically.
The purpose of this document is to help you work around the known issue that prevents content in the link field from being sorted. If you use the KwizCom List Aggregator web part to display faculty and/or staff contact information, this document enables you to ensure your list can be sorted alphabetically by faculty/staff name.
Although the KwizCom List Aggregator web parts throw an application error when users attempt to sort views from the link field, users can sort views from the Single line of text field without issue. To work around the link field known issue, complete the following steps using the Single line of text field to enable alphabetical sorting of faculty/staff names.
- Open the page with the KwizCom List Aggregator web part, and confirm the web part is using the view you wish to sort.
- On the list, add a Single Line of Text type field, Ex: Full name
- For each record in the list, add the staff/faculty member’s name to the new Single line of Text field using a last name, first name pattern. Ex: Van Houten, Milhouse
- Remove staff and/or faculty members’ names from other fields to avoid redundancy if needed
For example, if a link field contains the name of the staff/faculty member and their email address, update the field to contain the term Email only
- Check the checkbox next to visible on each list item to ensure the field is viewable
- Reorder the fields on the views as needed.
For example, the new Single line of text field is likely appropriate as the first field since it now contains faculty/staff names
- Uncheck the box next to visible on any remaining redundant fields to ensure the field is not viewable.
TIP: Leave the redundant fields on the list to prevent data loss.
- Sort the views alphabetically by the new Single line of text field
- Refresh and review the page displaying the KwizCom List Aggregator web part, which updates automatically when the matching view is changed.