Nature of Work:
This position exists to support the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus community by providing Information Technology with senior level authority and consultation, architectural expertise, design strategy, systems and system support, develop processes rules and guidelines, standards and training in the areas of Linux/Unix support and datacenter administration as the senior level contributor for these systems and will directly influence management decisions. This includes, but is not limited to: systems design and architecture, systems implementation, systems maintenance, documentation and training as well as oversight for all campus wide Linux/Unix systems.
This position will report to the Director of Enterprise Computing.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Serve as Senior Level Linux Architect for Campus Wide system needs to include multiple campuses (i.e. UCD, UCB, UIS,UCCS) where applicable
• Serve as the senior level authority for Linux/Unix Systems for the campus wide architecture, implementation, design and configuration, develop guideline, processes and procedures and rules regarding the use and implementation as well as the design strategy for the campus using expert opinions and a unique level of knowledge.
• Create new processes and procedures for identifying and addressing newly discovered complex operational issues in the Unix/Linux environment.
• Provide direct and formal control over the installation, configuration, security controls, use and implementation of Linux/Unix for the Central IT Services and Campus LAN Administrators for all campus wide services for Linux/Unix operating systems as the Campus Wide Linux/Unix Architect.
• Provide senior management with guidelines, processes and procedures to directly influence the decisions for campus wide implementations
• Serve as the primary point of contact for all Linux/Unix and OIM (Oracle Identity Management), pertaining to the Linux OS and serve the needs for IT Services and University of Colorado Denver departments.
• Serve as a team lead for the IT Services Linux/Unix team and will also cross train in other key environment within UC Denver, including Windows Server and Enterprise Computing systems
• Provide senior level architectural expertise, experience, training and knowledge in the administration and maintenance of all UC Denver Linux RHEL systems to ensure the health and stability of the campus wide computing systems
• Perform installations, set security parameters, monitor, manage, maintain and retire both physical and virtual Linux or RedHat Enterprise Operating Systems
• Develop templates and standards for physical and virtual Linux-based servers
• Perform configurations and troubleshooting, upgrades and patching of existing and new Linux/Unix-based systems and remediate any issues or problems related to the quality of service to our customers and constituents
• Installation and configuration of WebLogic servers
• Installation and configuration of Apache web server and/or Oracle HTTP server
• Development of shell scripts for configuration, automation and monitoring
• Conduct capacity planning reviews with management
• Develop documentation and training for all junior staff as the Team Lead and Campus Subject Matter Expert
• Create, develop and maintain system reports on the health and status of system performances and metrics and making recommendations for improved system reliability, stability and overall performance improvements.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or a closely related field.
• 5 years of Linux system administration
Full time, professional-level work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor’s degree.
Competencies/Knowledge,Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to create and architect new unix/Linux architectures and systems to meet new and undefined technology needs of the University.
• In-depth knowledge of RedHat Linux distributions
• Perform RedHat Linux based server builds and administration
• Ability to perform ongoing design, planning, implementation, and maintenance of a growing Linux infrastructure.
• Perform analysis of the Unix/Linux computing environment and identify methods to improve efficiency and enhance customer support.
• Expert level with Systems Administration duties such as disk storage management, memory, hardware and software configuration as well as clustered Linux Server environments.
• Proficient in one or more scripting languages (Shell scripting, Perl, Python, PHP). Should be able to connect database, manipulate basic data-structures, regular expressions, basic modularity, error handling
• Monitor and troubleshoot backups, scheduled Cron jobs, and be able to monitor systems and processes and take proactive action.
• Administer local and LDAP accounts on Linux servers including service accounts
• Knowledge with OS and network security (firewalls and system hardening)
• Knowledge of networking concepts and practices
• Provide documentation and training related to new implementations to team members
• Assist in creating internal systems administration best practices, standards and documentation
• Provide assistance to team on projects including all integration related work
• Ability to work independently to get the job done with little or no assistance
• Ability to work closely with end users and understand their needs and requirements
• Strong organizational skills with high attention to details
• Strong communication and customer service skills
• Capable of taking a lead in projects with technical and non-technical customers
• Coaching and Mentorship experience for junior members
• 5 years experience working with Apache web server
• 5 years experience with Oracle WebLogic
• Experience with VMware vSphere datacenter products
• Storage Area Network (SAN) experience
• Advanced experience with performance tuning, package installation, patch management updates, network and server management issues
• Experience working with clustered/ load-balanced servers