In 2007, a draft version of an online college curriculum was developed for Florissant Fossil Beds by University of Colorado at Colorado Springs through a Parks as Classrooms Grant. Unfortunately, the format that was used to design the program became unusable with the National Park Service’s Content Management System and the content needed to be updated. Florissant Fossil Beds discovered a CESU partner (CITT) that specializes in developing online curriculum. The Monument used their expertise to complete the online curriculum in a format that can be used and update the information and activities.
This curriculum is intended to be used by advanced high school or introductory college courses. Ideally, it would be used before students come on a field trip to Florissant Fossil Beds as an introduction, but could be used at any time.
CITT revised the Florissant Fossil Beds national curriculum website by completing these tasks:
- Reviewed site architecture, propose new navigational structure, set name conventions
- Used existing National Park Service (NPS) web page template design to build out curriculum and maintain the NPS branding.
- Modified existing Florissant video into Flash-based video for introduction unit.
- Created web pages and quiz questions using NPS web page templates, and used image maps for interactive maps.
- Launched final version of site for NPS to review. The NPS will publish the site when review is completed so the public can use the online curriculum.