Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Veteran Student Services

Semester Process

For continuing students

Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans, and            scholarships. By completing the FAFSA, the $200 registration fee required each semester will be      waived. See our Financial Aid page for more information. This should be filled out once a year,             ideally in January but after you file your taxes.

1. Run your Degree Audit within UCDaccess. For more information about Degree Audit, go to the Office of the Registrar website. Contact your Advisor to ensure you know which required courses you should take for the current term.

2. Register/Enroll for classes. Full time for Undergrad is 12 credit hours (Fall/Spring) and 6 credit hours (Summer). Graduate students must take 5 hours to be considered full time. 
  • NOTE: If you take online only classes, you will only receive HALF of the National average BAH. 
  • At least one credit hour must be taken on campus. Some hybrid classes are classified as online courses. 
  • Hybrid Courses - In order to calculate the number of on campus hours required for the class to be classified as on campus versus online, use the formula:
                 credit hours multiplied by number of weeks (duration) = required in class hours

Run your Degree Audit again to ensure your classes do not fall in the "Work Not Applied" section. Classes in the Work Not Applied section will not be certified without documentation from your program advisor.
  • If a course is in the Work Not Applied section of your Degree Audit, contact your CU Denver program advisor and request that they submit documentation indicating the course is required for your degree plan.
  • Have your CU Denver Program Advisor submit a Degree Audit Exemption Form to make changes to your Degree Audit.

3. Fill out the Certification Request entirely. This must be completed EVERY semester. Please submit your Certification Request at least  3 weeks before the start of the semester to allow for processing.
  • If you drop or add classes, you MUST submit a new Request for Certification and notate the changes in the remarks section for your changes to be submitted to the VA. ​       ​
4. If you are using benefits under Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607, you are required to verify your enrollment monthly by visiting the WAVES website.

Complete VA and Financial Aid Refund Release form, if needed. This is a request to have a Sponsor payment applied to your student account. A Sponsor payment is a place holder for the VA payment expected for tuition and fees. The remaining Financial Aid will become available for refund to the student. Student MUST meet all of the following requirements to be eligible:
  • Student accepted Financial Aid for the semester, is expecting a refund, AND Financial Aid has been posted to student account.
  • Student has submitted a Certification Request using the Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill for the term.
  • Student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes.
  • A current eBenefits Summary MUST ALSO be submitted. 

Do not submit the VA and Financial Aid Refund Release form until ALL eligibility requirements are met, or your form will NOT processed.

6. Sign up for CU Denver Health Insurance, if needed. To waive student health insurance for the Anschutz Campus click here. CU Denver's student health insurance meets the qualifications under Obamacare and is covered by Post-9/11 (Ch. 33). If you are utilizing the VA Hospital for medical            care, you can still sign up for the school health insurance.     
  • Ensure it is billed to your student account by the census date. 
  • Only sign up for the current semester. You will be responsible for the difference between Spring Only Student Health Insurance and Spring/Summer Student Health Insurance. Summer Only Health Insurance will become an option once Summer registration opens.

7. Make an appointment with the Heroes Clinic, if needed. The Heroes Clinic offers free ongoing dental care for student Veterans enrolled in classes. If you do not have dental coverage or just want an additional cleaning, make an appointment by calling 303-724-2VET (2838).

8. After steps 1-3 are complete, the Office of Veteran Student Services Certifying Official will certify        your enrollment and you will start receiving benefits!

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: Anschutz Office: 303.724.9649 or Denver Office: 303.315.7300

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364



© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.