Skip to main content
Sign In

Financial Aid

Helping you navigate the FAFSA system

Federal Student Aid is also something to consider. This can be done by completing a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). Many veteran students think that this is not necessary because they possess GI Bill benefits, but there are grants available, which do not need to be paid back and do not go against the VA Education Benefits. Any Financial Aid over the amount of the GI Bill goes into the student’s pocket. Grants are need-based awards determined by income and cost of living. If a veteran student is only eligible for federal student loans and not grants, then they can just decline the loans.

Who can get Financial Aid?
Financial Aid takes into account the previous year’s income from the student's tax returns, so recently separated veterans sometimes make too much money in the military to be eligible for grants. However, they can fill out a Financial Aid appeal form stating that they are now separated and that the previous year’s income is no longer applicable, and the Financial Aid office will evaluate the appeal to determine if the student is eligible to receive additional funds. This is not guaranteed, but it is definitely worth looking into.

Will Financial Aid help with my registration deposit?
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a $200 registration deposit required before a student can register for classes, in order to reserve a spot for class as well as to guarantee the school attendance on the first day. If paying the $200 deposit represents a financial burden for you, we recommend applying for Financial Aid. If a student fills out a FAFSA, CU Denver will waive the deposit for Financial Aid applicants.

When do I fill out a FASA?
A FAFSA can be completed at any time using the above process, but the sooner the better, because grants are sometimes awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend that a student fills one out as soon as they decide on a school or during their application and registration process.

Is filling out a FAFSA worth the trouble?
At best, filling out the FAFSA will make you eligible for grants. At worst, it will save you $200 for your deposit every semester. So, it’s definitely beneficial to complete a FAFSA.

How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?
If you have any questions regarding financial aid eligibility, awards or processes, please contact the CU Denver Office of Financial Aid

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: Anschutz Office: 303.724.9649 or Denver Office: 303.315.7300

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364



© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.