Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Veteran Student Services

Student Application Process

For new students, transfer students and status changes


1. Apply for and gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver.

2. Go to VONAPP (Veteran's ONline APPlication) site:   
       a. If you are using the GI BILL (Montgomery, Post 9-11):
           New Students:
                - Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits)
                - Family Member: VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to use
                  Transferred Benefits)
            Transfer Students:
                - Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1995 (Change Program/Place of Training)
                - Family Member: VA Form 22-5495 (Dependent Change of Program/ Place 
                     of Training)
       b. If you are using Survivor/Dependent Benefits (Chapter 35):
            - VA Form 22-5490 (Dependent Application for VA Education Benefits)
       c. If you are using Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31):
            - VA Form 28-1900 (Disabled Veteran's Application for Vocational Rehabilitation
              and Employment).

3. Petition for In-State residency if eligible. Please click here for useful information and how to complete this. Post 9-11 benefits will only pay the In-state tuition amount. The student will 
    be responsible for any amount above the in-state rate.

4. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans, and scholarships. By completing the FAFSA, the $200 registration fee required each semester will be waived. See our Financial Aid page for more information. This should be filled out once a year, ideally in January but after you file your taxes.

5. Complete Military Experience Form and turn in with a copy of your DD-214. If your DD-214 does not show documentation of your experience, be prepared to provide additional documentation (leader's course certificate, military language certificate, promotion warrant, etc.) before your information will be submitted. THIS STEP IS NOT NECESSARY FOR GRADUATE/MASTER'S STUDENTS.
     - Please submit at least one week before the census date to allow time for processing. 
- Any forms turned in after the census date will not be processed until after the semester. 
- If it will impact your standing (i.e. Junior, Senior) please contact our office directly.          
     - Transfer credits are not added for non-degree seeking students. Once a student has chosen a degree plan, a MEF can be submitted.

6 . Request Joint Service Transcript (JST). Our office will retrieve your transcript from the    JST website​ and submit to Admissions. Allow 2 weeks for your transcript to be processed. For Air Force, go to the Air University website. The Admissions Office determines which credits will be applied. THE VA REQUIRES ALL MILITARY MEMBERS, PRIOR OR CURRENT, TO SUBMIT MILITARY TRANSCRIPTS FOR EVALUATION.

7.  Meet with school and department advisors (Most require an appointment). 
     - Call the School Advising office at 303-352-3520, or visit their website:
8. Register/Enroll for classes.  Full time for Undergrad is 12 credit hours (Fall/Spring) and 6 credit hours (Summer).  Graduate students must take 5 hours to be considered full time.
     - NOTE: If you take only online classes, you will only receive HALF of the National Average BAH. 
     - At least one credit hour must be taken on campus. Some hybrid  classes are classified as online courses. 
     - In order to calculate the number of credit hours required to be full time, use 
the formula: credit hours times number of weeks (duration) = required in class hours

9. After you have registered for classes, bring the following  forms into the  Denver Office of Veteran Student Services:
- DD214 Member 4 - Veterans.
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) - Reservists.
- Orders - Active Duty.
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Veterans, Family Members, Active Duty. If you have not 
yet received your COE, turn it in when you do receive it.
eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits (replaces COE) -
Veterans, Family Members, Active Duty.
     - Click or hover over the link "View Status"
     - Click on your benefit, print first page showing months of remaining benefits
        eligibility percentage.

10. Fill out the Request for Certification/Class Card entirely. This must be completed EVERY semester. Please submit this at least 3 weeks before the start of the semester to allow for processing.
- If there are any changes to your class schedule, please submit a new Request for 
Certification and notate the changes in the remarks section.         

11. Sign up for UCDenver Health Insurance. To waive Student Health insurance for Anschutz Campus click here. CU Denver's student health insurance meets the qualifications under Obamacare  and is covered by the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit. If you are utilizing  the VA Hospital for medical care, you can still sign up for the school health insurance.        
       - Ensure it is billed to your student account by the census date
       - Sign up for the current semester ONLY.

The Hero Clinic offers free ongoing dental care for student Veterans enrolled in classes. To make an appointment, call 303-724-2VET (2838).

12. After steps 1-10 are complete the Office of Veteran Student Services Certifying Official will certify your enrollment and you will start receiving benefits!  

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: Anschutz Office: 303.724.9649 or Denver Office: 303.315.7300

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364



© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.