SOME STEPS DO NOT APPLY TO ALL STUDENTS. IF A STEP DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU, SKIP THAT STEP.
1. Apply for and gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver.
2. Go to VONAPP (Veteran's ONline APPlication) site:
a. If you are using the GI BILL (Montgomery, Post 9-11):
- Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits)
- Family Member: VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to use
- Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1995 (Change Program/Place of Training)
- Family Member: VA Form 22-5495 (Dependent Change of Program/ Place
b. If you are using Survivor/Dependent Benefits (Chapter 35):
- VA Form 22-5490 (Dependent Application for VA Education Benefits)
c. If you are using Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31):
- VA Form 28-1900 (Disabled Veteran's Application for Vocational Rehabilitation
3. Petition for In-State residency if eligible. Please click here for useful information and how to
complete this. Post 9-11 benefits will only pay the In-state tuition amount. The student will
be responsible for any amount above the in-state rate.
4. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans,
and scholarships. By completing the FAFSA, the $200 registration fee required each semester
will be waived. See our Financial Aid page for more information. This should be filled out
once a year, ideally in January but after you file your taxes.
5. Complete VA and Financial Aid Refund Release form. This is a request to have a Sponsor payment applied to the student's account in the amount that is expected from the VA for tuition and fees. Once the Sponsor payment is applied, it will look as though the VA has paid their portion. The remaining Financial Aid will become available for refund to the student. Student MUST meet all of the following requirements to be eligible:
- Student accepted Financial Aid for the semester and is expecting a refund.
- Student is eligible for the Post 9-11 GI Bill.
- Student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes. - A current eBenefits Summary MUST ALSO be submitted.
6. Complete Military Experience Form and turn in with a copy of your DD-214. If your DD-214
does not show documentation of your experience, be prepared to provide additional
documentation (leader's course certificate, military language certificate, promotion warrant,
etc.) before your information will be submitted.
- Please submit at least one week before the census date to allow time for processing.
- Any forms turned in after the census date will
not be processed until after the semester.
- If it will impact
your standing (i.e. Junior, Senior) please contact our office directly.
- Transfer credits are not added for non-degree seeking students. Once a student has chosen a
degree plan, a MEF can be submitted.
6 . Request Joint Service Transcript (JST). Our office will retrieve your transcript from the JST website and submit to Admissions. Allow 2 weeks for your transcript to be processed.
The Admissions Office determines which credits will be applied.
7. Meet with school and department advisors (Most require an appointment).
- Call the School Advising office at 303-352-3520, or visit their website:
8. Register/Enroll for classes. Full time for Undergrad is 12 credit hours (Fall/Spring) and 6
credit hours (Summer). Graduate students must take 5 hours to be considered full time.
- NOTE: If you take only online classes, you will only receive HALF of the National Average
- At least one credit hour must be taken on campus. Some hybrid classes are classified
as online courses.
- In order to calculate the number of credit hours required to be full time, use
credit hours times number of weeks (duration) = required in class hours
9. After you have registered for classes bring the following forms into the UCDenver Office of
Veteran Student Services:
- DD214 Member 4
- Certificate of Eligibility for VA Education Benefit - First Page (If you have not yet received
this document, we will accept the above form and you can turn in the COE when you
- OR - eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits - First Page
- Click or hover over the link "View Status"
- Click on your benefit, print first page showing months of remaining benefits and
10. Fill out the Request for Certification/Class Card entirely. This must be completed EVERY
semester. Please submit this at least 3 weeks before the start of the semester to allow for
- If there are any changes to your class schedule, please submit a new Request for
Certification and notate the changes in the remarks section.
11. Sign up for UCDenver Health Insurance. To waive Student Health insurance for Anschutz
Campus click here. CU Denver's student health insurance meets the qualifications under
Obamacare and is covered by the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit. If you are utilizing the VA
Hospital for medical care, you can still sign up for the school health insurance.
- Ensure it is billed to your student account by the census date
- Only sign up for the current semester.
Student Dental Insurance is not covered under the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit and will be the responsibility of the student. The Hero Clinic offers free ongoing dental care for student Veterans enrolled in classes. To make an appointment, call 303-724-2VET (2838).
12. After steps 1-10 are complete the Office of Veteran Student Services Certifying Official will certify
your enrollment and you will start receiving benefits!