CRIME AND WEAPONS IN COLORADO
A Buechner Crime Briefing from the Criminology and Criminal Justice Research Initiative
Please join us for a special Buechner Institute for Governance event to celebrate the unveiling of our new Criminology and Criminal Justice Research Initiative. Researchers from the CCJRI will be presenting the first in a series of Buechner Crime Briefings assessing crime in Colorado.
This Buechner Crime Briefing explores the nature and characteristics of crimes committed with weapons in Colorado, using incident-based data collected by law enforcement in 2010. It includes information about the types of criminal offenses committed with a weapon, event characteristics (such as location, alcohol-related crimes, and arrests), and victim characteristics including victim sex, race, relationship with the offender, and injury. Rates of weapon-related crimes for selected jurisdictions in Colorado also are presented.
Please join us for a presentation by the authors:
· Callie Marie Rennison, Associate Professor, School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver and Faculty Researcher Affiliate, Buechner Institute for Governance
· Lynn Addington, Associate Professor, American University, Washington, D.C. and Faculty Researcher Affiliate, Buechner Institute for Governance
And reactions to the study’s findings by Colorado experts:
· Dan Oates, Police Chief, Aurora, Colorado
· Justice Alex Martinez, Denver Manager of Safety and former Colorado Supreme Court Justice
· Mitch Morrissey, Denver District Attorney
The discussion will be moderated by Mary Dodge, Professor, School of Public Affairs University of Colorado Denver and Faculty Researcher Affiliate, Buechner Institute for Governance.
What: Criminology & Criminal Justice Research Initiative – Buechner Crime Briefing
When: 7:30-9 a.m. Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Where: Terrace Room (2nd floor), 1380 Lawrence Street, Denver
Admission: Free – but space is limited!
Please RSVP: BIG@ucdenver.edu
Not able to attend? Watch the live webcast of this event at: