Hans R. Morgenthaler
- Lic. Phil. I , University of Zürich
- MA & PhD, Stanford University
European Modernism and Theories of Creativity and Reception.
Teaching, Research, Administration
- Society of Architectural Historians
- College Art Association
- Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society in Architecture
- 2007 The Architect’s History of Architecture (Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company)
- 2000 “’Why should we be laymen with respect to art?’ The Formative Years 1910-1919,” and “’It will be hard for us to find a home.’ Projects in the United States 1941-1953,” in Erich Mendelsohn Architect 1887-1953. The Monacelli Press.
- 2003 s.v. "Mario Botta," "Expressionism," "Erich Mendelsohn," and "Switzerland." Dictionary of Twentieth-Century Architecture. Fitzroy-Dearborn Publishers.
- 1999 “’Why should we be laymen with respect to art?’ The Formative Years 1910-1919,” and “’It will be hard for us to find a home.’ Projects in the United States 1941-1953,” in Erich Mendelsohn, Dynamics and Function: Realized Visions of a Cosmopolitan Architect. Hatje Cantz Publishers.
- 1998 Chapter 1: “’Wie sollten wir der Kunst gegenüber Laien sein?’ Jahre der Prägung und Orientierung 1910-1918,” and Chapter 11: “’Es wird schwierig sein, eine Wohnung für uns zu finden.’ Arbeiten in den USA 1941-1953,”in Erich Mendelsohn: Gebaute Welten. Verlag Gerd Hatje
- 1995 “Chronology versus System: Unleashing the Creative Potential of Architectural History.” Journal of Architectural Education 48 (May):218-226.
- 1993 s.v. "August Endell," "Ely Jacques Kahn," "Karl Moser," "Rudolf Schindler," and "Bernard Tschumi." International Dictionary of Architects and Architecture. St James Press.
- 1992 The Early Sketches of German Architect Erich Mendelsohn: No Compromise with Reality. The Edwin Mellen Press
- 1991 "Erich Mendelsohn in the USA: Nuclear Physics and Urban Design." Selected Works: Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. 1990 Conference. Washington. pp. 59-65.
- 1991 s.v. "Reichlin/Reinhard: Casa Tonini." Contemporary Masterworks. St. James Press.
- 1990 "Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle: Opportunity Lost and Found?" AVANT GARDE 4 (Summer):58-71.
- 1989 "The Early Sketches of Erich Mendelsohn: The Search for an Industrial Metaphor." AVANT GARDE 2 (Summer ): 28-3
- 1987 Erich Mendelsohn, 1887-1953: An Annotated Bibliography. Vance Bibliographies
- 1980 Universität Zürich. Gesellschaft für Schweizerische Kunstgeschichte. (Co-author).
Most Recent Courses
Architectural History I, Architectural History II, History of Architecture I, History of Architecture II, Vitruvian Theory
Hans R. Morgenthaler began studying art history at the University in Zürich, Switzerland. He finished his education at Stanford University with the Ph.D. degree. He is an associate professor in the College of Architecture and Planning at the University of Colorado, where he teaches architectural history lecture courses and seminars in 20th-century architectural history and theory. His research interests lie in 20th-century European architecture with a special emphasis on theoretical questions. Within this field, he focuses particularly on interdisciplinary projects, which investigate architecture as a part of culture.
He has published numerous articles and books on the career of the German Expressionist architect Erich Mendelsohn, including two chapters in the book Eric Mendelsohn Architect 1887-1953, which was published in 2000. His current research project is titled The Vienna School of Art History and Modernist Architecture.
He has also begun to study the architecture of Colorado. Two manuscripts are in various stages of completion: An Architectural Guide to Colorado, and Art Deco Architecture in Denver.