Professor Emeritus and Associate Dean of International Studies (Asia)
Planning and Design
- PhD Geography - Ohio State University, 1970
- MA Geography - University of Cincinnati, 1967
- BA Geology - Eastern Kentucky University, 1965
- Dip. Geography - Chung Chi College, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1963
- BS (Equiv.) Mathematics - Ohio State University, 1969
Teaching and Administrative Appointments
- 2009- Director of China Initiatives
- CU Denver-Tongji University Master of Landscape Architecture Dual Degree Program, 2012
- CU Denver-Gensler-Tongji Internship Program, 2010
- CU Denver-Southeast Univeristy Nanjing Summer Joint Studio, 2011
- 2004- Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
- 1987-8 Director, Urban and Regional Planning Program
- 1988-92 Associate Dean, School of Architecture and Planning
- 1989 (Oct.-Dec.) Acting Dean, School of Architecture and Planning
- 1995-Present International Student Advisor
- 1986-Present Professor, Urban and Regional Planning
- 1980-86 Professor, Geography
- 1975-80 Associate Professor, Geography
- 1970-75 Assistant Professor, Geography
Spatial Analysis, Mathematical and Quantitative Analysis, Spatial Perception, Urban Transportation Planning, Land Use Planning, Retail Location, Economic Development, Decision-support Systems, Ethnic Minority Small Business.
International Advisor, Linear City Research:
Sustainable Urban Communities, Vision and Planning with the Development of Linear City. Center for Environmental Policy and Resource Management and the Department of Geography and Resource Management, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005
- Invited Membership, The Chinese Geographical Society, People's Republic of China, 1984-1990.
- Featured Speaker, The Fourth Conference of the Chinese Geographic Society, Guangzhow, People's Republic of China, 1979.
- Visiting Scholar, The Chinese Academic of Sciences, 1979, 1982.
- Special Referee (external research proposal reviewer), University and Polytechnic Grants Committee, Hong Kong Government Research Grant Council, 1991-present. .
- Service Award, College of Architecture and Planning, 2006.
- Distinguished Service Award, School of Architecture and Planning, 1990.
- Research Excellence Award, School of Architecture and Planning, 1987.
PUBLICATIONS-BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Lee, Y., 1989. “The Chinese Urban Spatial Cognition: The Evolutionary Pattern of Guangzhou, China,” Resources, Environment and Regional Development, C.K. Leung (ed.) University of Hong Kong, Chapter 25, pp. 409-423.
- Lee, Y., 1988. “Retail Geography and Analysis Methodology,” invited paper, in Quantitative Analysis And Production Distribution (in Chinese), The Institutof Geography, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, pp. 185-198.
- Lee, Y., 1985. “Spatial Analysis of Retail Activities in Hong Kong” in The Urban Society in Southeast Asia (Volume 1: Social and Economic Issues), by G.H. Krausse (ed.), Asian Research Service, Chapter X, pp. 207-231.
- Lee, Yuk and McCracken, Michael, "Centripetal and Centrifugal Movement: Shopping Centers in Denver USA and Brisbane Australia," Urban Studies, June 2012; 49(6).
- Leung, Y., Lee, Y., Lam, K.C., Kui, L. and Z. Fantan, 2005 “An Environmental Decision Support System for the Management of Water Pollution iin Tidal River Network,” International Journal of Geographical Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 4/April, pp. 483-500.
- Leung, Y. and Y. Lee, 2000, “Intelligent Decision Support System for Environmental Management-System and Application in south China Region,” in P.A. Whigham (ed.) Proceedings of SIRC 2000, The Evolution of Spatial Knowledge, New Zealand: University of Otago, pp. 211-218.
- Cameron, T. and Y. Lee, 1999,. “Women with AIDS: Will it Change AIDS Service Organizations?” Policy Studies Journal, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 872-889.
- Lee, Y., 1998,“Highway Network Connectivity, Traffic Flow Pattern, and Economic Development of China’s Hainan Island” Asian Geographer, 17(1-2), pp. 115-126.
- Lee, Y., Cameron, T., Schaeffer, P., and Schmidt, C.G., 1997. “Ethnic Minority Small Business: A Comparative Analysis of Restaurants in Denver”. Urban Geography, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 591-621.
- Schmidt, C.G. and Y. Lee, 1991. “Geographic Ignorance Among College Students in the People’s Republic Of China” Asian Geographer, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1991, pp. 103-111 (published in 1994).
- Cameron, T. and Y. Lee, 1993. “Housing for Women with AIDS,” in Shelter, Women and Development,First and Third World Perspectives, by H.C. Dandekar (ed.), George Wahr Publishing Company, pp. 141-147.
- Lee, Y. 1993. “Urban Spatial Cognition: An Experience with Selected Chinese Cities,” in Urban Development in China and Southeast Asia by W. Taubmann, K.C. Tan, and S.Z. Ye (ed.), University of Brennan Press, pp. 215-239.
- Lee, Y., 1991. “Hainan Island Highway Network: Present Conditions and its Role in Future Economic Development.” The Journal of Chinese Geography, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 1-25.
- Lee, Y., 1989. “An Allometric Analysis of the U.S. Urban System: 1960-1980,” Environment andPlanning A, Vol. 21, pp. 463-476.
- Lee, Y. and C.G. Schmidt, 1988. “Residential Preferences in China: The Perception Threshold and And Geographic Information,” Asian Geographer, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 24-39.
- Lee, Y. and C.G. Schmidt, 1988. “Evolution of Urban Spatial Cognition: Patterns of Change in Guangzhou, China,” Environment and Planning, A. Vol. 20, pp. 339-351.
- Schmidt, C.G. and Y. Lee, 1987. “Residential Preferences in China: Relationships Between Place Choices And Environmental Characteristics,” Geographical Review, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 318-327.
- Lee, Y. and C.G. Schnidt, 1986. “Urban Spatial Cognition: A Case Study of Guangzhou, China,” Urban Geography, Vol.7, No. 5, pp. 397-412.
- Lee, Y. and C.G. Schmidt, 1985. “Residential Preferences in China: Influences and Implications,” Asian Geographer, Vol. 4, No. 2. Pp. 83-98.
- Lee, Y. and M. McCracker, 1982. “Spatial Adjustment of Retail Activity: A Spatial Analysis of Supermarkets in Metropolitan Denver, 1960-1980,” Regional Science Perspectives, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 62-76.
- Lee, Y., 1982. “An Introduction to Urban Land Use and Development Models,” The Geography Bulletin, Vol. 16, pp. 45-51.
- Lee, Y., and C.G. Schmidt, 1980. “A Comparative Location Analysis of a Retail Activity: The Gasoline Service Station,” The Annals of Regional Science, Vol. XIV, No. 2, pp. 65-76.
- Schmidt, C.G. and Y. Lee, 1979. “An Intermetropolitan Analysis of Retail Location Patterns and Competitive Processes,” The Social Science Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 43-52.
- Lee, Y., 1979. “A Nearest Neighbor Spatial Association and Measure for the Analysis of Firm Independence,” Environment and Planning, A. Vol. 11, pp. 169-176.
- Stevens, Richard and Y. Lee, 1979. “A Spatial Analysis of Agricultural Intensity in a Basotho Village Of Southern Africa,” The Professional Geographer, Vol 31, No. 2, May, pp. 177-183.
- Schmidt, C.G. and Y. Lee, 1978. “Impacts of Changing Racial Composition Upon Commercial Land Use Succession and Commercial Structure: A Comparative Neighborhood Analysis,” Urban Affairs Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, March, pp. 341-354.
- Lee, Y., 1977. “Urban Space Packing: A Simulation Approach,” The Geography Bulletin, No. 14, pp. 23-29.
- Kaltenhauser, J. and Y. Lee, 1976. “Correlation Coefficients for Binary Data in Factor Analysis,” Geographical Analysis, Vol. VIII, July, pp. 306-313.
- Lee, Y. and D. Koutsopoulos, 1976. “A Locational Analysis of Convenience Food Stores in Metropolitan Denver,” The Annals of Regional Science, Vol. X, No. 1, pp. 104-117.
- Wallin, D., C.G. Schmidt and Y. Lee, 1975. “A Comparative Analysis of Black Ghetto Commercial Structures,” Proceedings, 71st Annual Meeting, Association of American Geographers, Milwaukee, April, pp. 259-263.
- Baker, E.J. and Y. Lee, 1975. “Alternative Analysis of Geographic Contingency Tables,” The Professional Geographer, Vol. XXVII, May, pp. 284-285.
- Lee, Y., 1975. “A Rejoinder to the Geography of Crime: A Political Critique,” The Professional Geographer, Vol. XXVII, August, pp. 284-285.
- Lee, Y., 1974. “A Conceptual Discussion and an Empirical Analysis of Commercial Land Use Succession,” Environment and Planning, A. Vol. 6, pp. 655-674.
- Lee, Y., Y. Leung and Lionel Lyles, 1974. “Two Conceptual Approaches and an Empirical Analysis of the Origin Node of Violent Crime,” Proceedings, 70th Annual Meeting, Association of American Geographers, April, pp. 157-161.
- Lee, Y., 1972. “Measuring Urban Functional Mobility,” Great Plains Rocky Mountain Geographical Journal, Vol. III, pp. 75-83.
- Lee, Y., 1972. “An Analysis of Spatial Mobility of Urban Activities in Downtown Denver,” The Annals of Regional Science, Vol, VIII, No. 1, February, pp. 95-108.
- Lee, Y. and F. Egan, 1972. “The Geography of Urban Crime: The Spatial Pattern of Serious Crime in the City of Denver,” Proceedings, 68th Annual Meeting, Association of American Geographers, Kansas City, March, pp. 59-64.
- Lee, Y., 1972. “A Stochastic Model of the Geometric Patterns of Urban Settlements and Urban Spheres of Influence: A Clumping Model,” Geographical Analysis, Vol. IV, January, pp. 51-64.
- Member, Governor Richard Lamm Science and Technology Advisory Council, 1983-1987
- Member, Denver Eligible Metropolitan Area HIV Resources Planning Council, 1995-1997.
- Member, Denver OPWA Committee, 1994-1997.
- Urban Spatial Analysis
- Transportation Network Analysis
- Urban Transportation Planning.