Welcome to the School of Public Affairs International Visiting Scholar Information page.
SPA considers visiting scholar applications from individuals who currently hold a faculty or administrative appointment to an institution in their home country (Academic Visiting Scholars) or from persons who currently work for a government agency or nonprofit organization (Research Visiting Scholars). International Visiting Scholars are housed at SPA for periods ranging from six months to two years.
Unfortunately, we have limited space, so we must limit our International Visiting Scholars to those who most closely fit the following requirements:
- An outstanding record of research and/or service (applications from Fulbright Scholars are welcomed)
- A research agenda that aligns with research interests of current SPA faculty (with preference given to those who have already arranged to conduct research with individual SPA faculty)
- Strong spoken and written English language skills
- A willingness to facilitate future partnerships between SPA and the scholar’s home country/agency
- Sufficient funding to meet the requirements of the UCD Office of International Affairs and the U.S. government
Visit the SPA faculty pages
to learn more about faculty and their research interests.
Please note that Research Visiting Scholars must pay a fee to the School of Public Affairs, in addition to other funding that may be required by the university or the government. Academic Visiting Scholars are not subject to this fee.
If you are interested in applying to be an International Visiting Scholar at SPA, please send a letter of inquiry describing how you meet the above requirements and a current curriculum vitae or resume to Scott Steinbrecher, Coordinator of International Student Programs, at email@example.com. You may also contact Scott with any questions that you have.