Skip to main content
Sign In

Graduate School at University of Colorado Denver

The Graduate School at UC Denver
Denver skyline

Financial Aid & Tuition

Determination of Residency

Determination of Residency
(for tuition purposes)

An applicant initially is classified as a resident (in-state) or non-resident (out-of-state) student for tuition purposes at the time an application and supporting credentials are received in the Graduate School. To be classified as in-state, students (or their parents, if the student is an unemancipated minor) must have maintained domicile in Colorado for at least one year prior to the term in which in-state classification is claimed. Permanent residence and the intent to make Colorado one's permanent home must be in evidence before the one-year waiting period can begin. Evidence of intent includes filing state income tax returns, employment, voter registration, a driver's license, vehicle registration, property ownership, and other factors.

Establishing Domicile

An individual must have been domiciled in Colorado for one calendar year before he or she is entitled to in-state tuition. A domicile is a person's true, fixed and permanent home. Having a domicile in Colorado involves more than mere physical presence or "residence" in the state. A person may have several places of residence but can have only one true domicile at any given time. In order to establish a domicile for tuition purposes, there must be

  1. physical presence for at least 12 months within the state along with
  2. demonstrated intent to make Colorado one’s permanent home.

Intent is demonstrated by several kinds of connections with the state dated one year prior to the beginning of classes. There is no formula or checklist to follow in establishing domicile. Generally, physical presence (as shown by rent receipts, leases or statements from landlords, home ownership, etc.) plus one connection with the state will not be sufficient to establish domicile. Several connections are necessary, and the more connections that are made, the more assurance a person has of qualifying for residency. Any connections maintained with any other state during the 12-month period for establishing domicile may be viewed as negative intent to make Colorado one’s permanent home.

Changing Status

If you are declared a non-resident and would like to change to in-state resident status, you must petition for a change of status.

Anschutz Medical Campus Forms

Denver Campus Links

University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.