The mission of the University of Colorado Denver is to provide students, whatever their ages or circumstances, with opportunities to enhance their lives and careers through higher education. The Writing Center at CU Denver supports this mission by empowering student writers through collaborative discussion and instruction.
We view writing as a process and all texts as works in progress. We therefore seek to build confident, accomplished writers through the teaching of discipline specific genre knowledge, the development of critical thinking skills and the practice of audience-centered writing. Our clients develop better writing skills while improving their texts.
Services for Students
One-on-one and small-group sessions, directed by trained Professional Writing Consultants, are tailored to support students and build more accomplished writers. We assist writers of all levels and in all disciplines on any type of written work, including:
- Academic essays of all types
- Proposals, reports and reviews
- Theses, dissertations and manuscripts
- Scholarship, graduate-study and career-application documents.
Sessions are designed to prepare writers to:
- Understand assignment expectations
- Generate, organize and develop ideas
- Analyze, synthesize and argue
- Summarize, paraphrase and document sources
- Effectively recognize and revise issues with grammar and syntax
Services for Faculty
The Writing Center serves CU Denver faculty via professional-development seminars, custom in-class workshops, and both individual and departmental course support focused on:
- Incorporating writing across the curriculum
- Scaffolding writing assignments
- Creating effective rubrics and methods for writing assessment