Office of Information Technology provides an enterprise level backup service for backup of data on OIT-owned servers, department-owned servers housed in an OIT server room, and department-housed servers as requested.
Click here for a Restore Request
The backup system works as follows:
- Data on the server is backed up the night the file is first created.
- As the file is modified, each revision of that file is also backed up and is kept for 30 days.
- At day 31, the earliest revision is removed from the backup environment.
- The last copy of the file is kept (assuming no additional modifications) until it is deleted from the server.
- At time of deletion, each revision of the file will age off the backup as it reaches the 30-day retention limit. If a file is renamed or moved from the server to another location (like a desktop hard drive) the backup system behaves as though the file was deleted.
- Secondary of backup data is retained off-site for disaster recovery purposes.
- If data needs to be kept for reporting requirements, but no longer needs to be accessed regularly, it can be archived.
- For information about archiving, please contact: UCD-OIT-BackupOpts@ucdenver.edu